E komo mai—Welcome visiting patients!

Qualified patients visiting from other states may now apply for a 329-V card. With this card, visiting patients may shop at any state-licensed dispensary in Hawaiʻi.  You must have a valid medical cannabis card and a matching valid photo ID from your home state. You must also attest you have one of the conditions to legally use cannabis in Hawaiʻi. Cards are issued electronically, so you must have an email address.


Is it true that the state of Hawaiʻi will allow Out-of-State (OSP) patients to use medical cannabis while visiting the islands?
Yes, serving patients from out-of-state was included in the medical cannabis dispensary law that passed in 2015, but the actual procedure for qualifying visiting patients was approved in 2018.

When will the program launch?
Cannabis Registry launched the new online application for visiting patients on March 5, 2019.

How does the OSP program work?
Qualified patients who have a state-issued card to use medical cannabis in their home state, may shop at a Hawaiʻi-licensed medical cannabis dispensary while visiting the islands. To ensure timely access, patients should apply online before arriving in Hawaiʻi.

Who is qualified for this program?
Patients must have a valid medical cannabis card from a United States jurisdiction (state, territory or Washington, DC) plus a valid government-issued photo identification issued by the same jurisdiction.  Patients must also attest they are certified to use cannabis for one of Hawaiʻi’s qualifying conditions.

What are Hawaiʻi’s qualifying conditions?
Amyotrophic Lateral Scleroisis (ALS; Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
Multiple Scleroisis
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Positive Status for HIV/AIDs
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
“The treatment of these conditions”, or “A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following:

    • Cachexia or wasting syndrome,
    • Severe pain,
    • Severe nausea,
    • Seizures, including those characteristics of epilepsy, or
    • Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristics of multiple sclerosis or Crohn’s disease.

May patients from other countries participate?
No, the program is only available to residents of the United States.

If a patient meets all qualifications, how does he or she apply?
Applications must be submitted online. Begin the process here.

The two-step process requires patients to open an online account with the State of Hawaiʻi then fill out the Out-of-State Patient application. Patients must upload scans of a valid medical cannabis card and matching photo ID issued by their home jurisdiction, and a signed attestation that the patient has one of Hawaiʻi’s qualifying conditions.

There is a $49.50 fee that must be paid by a debit or credit card online. Upon approval, the patient will receive a link to their personalized 329-V card that may be printed or used electronically at any state-licensed dispensary.

How long will it take to get my 329-V card?
Because the program is brand new, we don’t yet have estimates for application processing time, but we recommend patients apply at least two weeks prior to arriving in Hawaiʻi.  To ensure timely access, you may apply up to 60 day prior to arrival. You may specify the start date for your 329-V card.

What protections do visiting patients receive with their 329-V card?
Visiting patients receive the same protections as Hawaiʻi resident patients including the right to legally possess up to four ounces of usable cannabis (or THC equivalent) at any time. If there are any questions, law enforcement will require your valid 329-V card and matching state ID.

Will my 329-V card expire?
Yes, it is valid for 60 days from the start date. One renewal during a calendar year is allowed, but the process for renewing a 329-V card has not yet been announced.

What else should medical cannabis patients know about Hawaiʻi?
The Aloha State has some of the most rigorous smoke-free laws in the nation. These laws regulate the use of tobacco, cannabis and vaporization devices. In general smoking or vaporization of any product is prohibited in all public areas including hotels, condos, apartment buildings, stores and restaurants. Additionally, smoking is prohibited in County and State parks and beaches as well as within rental vehicles.

If smoking is a challenging option, do dispensaries sell non-smokable cannabis products?
Yes, most state-licensed dispensaries offer tinctures, capsules, lozenges, extracted oils, concentrates, and topical products including serums, lotions and creams. At this time, Hawaiʻi dispensaries are prohibited from offering edible cannabis products including baked goods and candies.

What about transporting cannabis?
After purchasing from a state-licensed dispensary, all cannabis products must be transported in a sealed, opaque container. Federal law prohibits transport of cannabis over the ocean or on federal lands, so patients may not legally transport cannabis products between the American continent, inter-island or within the boundaries of any national park in Hawaiʻi.

My home state does not require a medical cannabis card, but I have a letter from my doctor, will this work?
No, the state of Hawaiʻi requires a card or similar credentials issued by your home jurisdiction for patients to qualify for a 329-V card.

My minor child relies upon cannabis therapy to help manage seizures; are minors allowed to participate in the OSP program?
Yes, parents, legal guardians or legal custodians may apply for a 329-V card for an underaged patient providing both parties meet all requirements. For more information, visit

My home state does not have a medical cannabis program, may I be certified to use medical cannabis in Hawaiʻi?
Yes. There is no residency requirement to register in Hawaiʻi’s medical cannabis program. If you plan to be in the islands for more than three weeks and/or you are a frequent visitor, you may consider applying for a standard 329 card. It is a three-step process that begins online here.

First, you will establish an account with the State of Hawaiʻi then complete an application for the medical cannabis registry and pay the required fee. You must have a face-to-face examination by a Medical Doctor (MD) or Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) who is approved to certify medical cannabis patients in Hawaiʻi. Your MD or APRN will certify your medical condition and complete your application. Upon approval, the DOH will send a link to your 329 card that may be used at any state-licensed dispensary for a period of 12 months. (You may request a telehealth consultation with your MD or APRN for annual renewals). The time required to receive your 329 card may vary between one to five weeks depending upon volume of applications.

Where can I find a list of MDs or APRNs who certify patients to use medical cannabis in Hawaiʻi?
Please visit for this information.

Where are dispensaries located?
There are state-licensed medical cannabis dispensaries on the islands of Oʻahu, Maui, Hawaiʻi Island and Kauaʻi. (Please note there are no dispensaries on Moloka’i or Lānaʻi.) For a full list of state-licensed dispensaries and a map, visit